The DMV has another hot artist on the rise ! If you are from the DMV then you know there has been a great number of celebrities who has made it from there such as: Wale, Fat Trel, Rico Nasty, Pharrell, Chris Brown, Missy Elliott and more. We were able to ask rising artist Dat Kid Wingz a couple of things about his upcoming projects. Read the exclusive below to see what he had to say.
● Tell me in a few words, who you are. How would you describe
yourself in a short story.
Dat Kid Wingz is a Multi-Genre artist from Southeast Washington, DC. At
the age of 8 he realized he had a passion for music and became a DJ. He
later began writing his own music at age 12 after hearing so many styles
of music. How he is looking to reshape music because he was “...tired of
hearing too much trash music playing on the radio”. Growing up in the
Chocolate City has taught Wingz the importance of finding a passion,
and music comes naturally. His music brings out the best in himself and
others. His style is slowly changing the music world as we know it.
● What’s your stage name and how did you come up with it?
Dat Kid Wingz is a nickname given to me in college due to a sprayground
backpack with Wings that I wore everywhere.
● What got you into music?
I became a DJ at age 8, but most of my family says Ive always leaned
● What was life like growing up?
Life was pretty good, lots of rough times of course. Living in Southeast
DC isn't a walk in the part and it definitely taught me the street smarts
needed in this life
● Who is your inspiration? What keeps you going to get up daily and
put effort into your music career?
My younger brother is my biggest inspiration. From the “did u go to the
studio this week” to the “can u send me that song” He is a big influence
and driving force behind me continuing to make music.
● What is your creative process like? What is the meaning behind your
There isn't really a creative process, I take a dose of magic mushrooms
before session time and freestyle over beats I bring or beats my
engineers make for me. My current single is also a freestyle.
● What is the name of the current single/ep/album that you are
pushing? Do you prefer people to buy it or stream? And why?
Most recent drop “Lit like a lighter” and the intro from my ep “Phone
Dump” titled “Back at It” are currently being pushed. I have no
● With the industry changing so much, would you stay indie or sign to
a label? Why and why not?
That decision all depends on the deal if I was to be signed,but ultimately
stay indie until a deal comes around that peaks my interest.
● Do you feel like the music industry has went down since the
pandemic? Why or why not? Where you affected by the pandemic
with music or everyday life?
I don't think it went down. I honestly wouldn't be an artist if it wasn't for
the pandemic. Before pandemic I had a job that took up my time but
once the pandemic started I couldn't work, thus giving me time to work
● If you were give a chance to sit down and have a business dinner
with a celebrity who would it be and why?
Honestly I would like to sit down with IDK. Not only is he from my city
but he also has been making business moves in background before his
music fully took off. I’d love to learn how to do some of the things he’s
done as well as making new connections with other networks/brands.
● How do you balance everyday life tied into your music career?
I don't make it separate, I’m a full time rapper always living my music
career to the fullest.
● Tell me about your most memorable moment in your career?
Most memorable moment in my career was shoot the music video for
“Watch Out”. Lots of Fast cars, drifting, girls and fun. Someone even
crashed and we had an amazing time and shoot.
● What style of music do you prefer to make? Would you ever try a
I prefer to make rap/hiphop but I'm very versatile. I make music of all genres.
● What are you currently working on and what is next for you?
Alot of single will drop this year. Also hoping I can put out my
anticipated album “I’m Vegeta”, which has been in the works for about a
● When it comes to fashion, whats your dressing style ?
My style varies, but I mostly wear Street and Tech style clothing.
● What is your creative process like and who inspired you to make
I usually freestyle when making music and have a Magic Mushroom trip
for the entire session. My Fans, family, and competition inspired me to make music.
● What would you be doing right now if it wasn’t for your music
I’d be setting up big festivals and concerts or doing something illegal to
● What is one message you would give to your fans?
Nobody can stop you but you. Moto:HOW COULD I LOSE?
Check out more of Dat Kid Wingz on apple music and more.