Here at 94.7 The Link, we love showcasing hot new talent! We were able to get the inside exclusive on NewYork artist " QueenLeft " . Check out the exclusive below!
● Tell me in a few words, who you are. How would you describe yourself in a short story. Include where you are from and the state you currently live in
My name is QueenLeft, I’m from Rochester NY, currently reside in Atlanta GA. I create music mostly HipHop but I have been experimenting with many different sounds for a while. I’m a dancer, I paint and I also write poetry. I own a jewelry business named KosmicQueenCollection. I love anything to do with metaphysics and nature.
● What’s your stage name and how did you come up with it?
My stage name is QueenLeft. There are various meaning behind my name. Queen represents all the queens in kemet that rules, paying homage to them and also expressing how that same energy in within me and I call myself queen to keep that energy flowing. Left was an homage to Lefteye but also the fact that I’m left handed and it’s a special realization knowing it’s only 10% of us on the planet . Also, the fact that I go in my own direction. When everyone goes right, I go left
● What got you into music?
I grew up in a very musical family on both sides. Being involved in church I was in the dance team and also the youth choir. When I was younger my neighbors and I would create dances and put on shows in our neighborhood. Music had always been a huge part of my life
● What was life like growing up?
My childhood was very enjoyable. Very imaginative , free and I was allowed to explore my curiosity. I loved every part of it. It was very creative and musical. Surrounded by music, dance the arts in my ways wether is was family, BET, MTV, church, outside, events I’d attend with my parents and childhood friends. My parents took us with them whenever they traveled so I experienced the world as a young age. I was very much into movies and books too such as goosebumps, are you afraid of the dark, anything mysterious and horror based. I’d love to write my own books on the same subject and tv adaptation to of the book in a few years
● Who is your inspiration? What keeps you going to get up daily and put effort into your music career?
My souls mission of helping heal people and the planet music. My spiritual practices keeps me disciplined
● What is your creative process like? What is the meaning behind
your current single?
Mediation, being in nature, being in silence with my own thought helps me listen to what the creator gives to me. My experience also serve as an inspiration to me. Like this current single, I was speaking on my first relationship I experienced with a guy I met when I first moved to atlanta. That experience was definitely a lesson for me and aided in my personal and musical growth because it taught me to be more vulnerable
● What is the name of the current single/ep/album that you are pushing? Do you prefer people to buy it or stream? And why?
My current single is Avalanche and whatever people are pulled to do is well with me. To buy it would be great so people can have their own copy of a creation to themselves
● With the industry changing so much, would you stay indie or sign to a label? Why and why not?
As of now, I perfer to stay indie. I’m in control of my creative process and when I get to drop my music.
● Do you feel like the music industry has went down since the pandemic? Why or why not? Where you affected by the pandemic with music or everyday life?
I definitely feel like the music industry has went down. People are starting to see how you really can’t benefit from it beyond the exposure
● If you were give a chance to sit down and have a business dinner with a celebrity who would it be and why?
I would have a dinner with Janet Jackson. She’s one of my biggest inspirations and I feel I relate to her in many ways beyond that I’d love to she was able to stay true to herself as an artist while making social conscious music that also feels good and make you dance
● How do you balance everyday life tied into your music career?
I have a schedule on when I choose to do things. On weeks I don’t perform or record I take those times to go to events and enjoy life with myself, family or friends doing various activities such as art museums, music shows, hiking, checking out food spots, etc
● Tell me about your most memorable moment in your career?
My most memorable moment is the current moment I’m in now with my 16s. The fact I was able to write, record, mix and master, shoot 18 short video for the soulful sixteens I’m doing for the anniversary of HipHop had made me proud. I put that production together myself with the help of a friend with the concept and my videographer Impak shooting the videos for me. I’m proud of this moment, things have been going great with it
● Do you have a celebrity crush?
Not really but I do admire Tyler the creator so much so I guess you can consider that a crush lol
● Is there anyone who you would collab with right now?
No one in particular right now but overall, I’d love to work with Kendrick Lamar and Billie Ellish
● Who is the producer and engineer behind your music?
I work with Anthony September, I enjoy how he gives me advice on the records and also helps me with learn the music program I’m currently working with
● What are you currently working on and what is next for you?
The Soulfilled sixteen that are in honor of the 50 years of HipHop. I’m on the 13th one, and I have 5 left. It’s exciting, because. I get to flex my versatility and challenge my pen but also give a shout out to my favorite HipHop records that changed the game.
I’m currently finishing my EP called Phoenix Rising: The Kundalini Rising. Finishing up recording that and will be dropping a single soon!
● When it comes to fashion, whats your dressing style ?
I call my style Afro Motto Grunge. A mix of African culture, motorcycle apparel and grunge style. All 3 aspects also described my music
● What is your creative process like and who inspired you to make music?
Things usually come to me while I’m out in nature and just experiencing mindfulness. I like to also meditate and let my emotions and experiences come through freely and I’ll arrange it based off what the music speaks.
Left Eye and Tupac Shakur; I consider them my musical parents, inspired me create music. I loved their rawness and freedom. I also love how they shifted a lot of our lives with the truths they spoke. Their authenticity made me step deeper into my purpose with no self doubt or second guessing
● If you could open up for one celebrity who would it be and why?
I would open up for either Janet Jackson or Kendrick Lamar. I say Janet because if incorporate dancing and make it a show. And I say Kendrick due to the same reasons plus I’m a rapper and I feel our music subject matter and style align in ways
● Any funny stories or an embarrassing moments you want to share with our readers?
One time I was out at the lake with a few friends and I missed my step and fell into the lake with my shoes and all my clothes. IT was embarrassing because my friend cause it on tape and kept looking at it, we just got there and I was wet the entire trip and everyone laughed
● What would you be doing right now if it wasn’t for your music career?
I’d probably be doing music therapy, traveling the world and exploring different cultures and foods or writing book and making them into films/shows like Stephen kind or RL Stine
● What is one message you would give to your fans?
Be authentically you and you’ll never live in fear. Love life By your standards without comparison, and stay true to your purpose regardless of what other day, do or think.
To Also, Enjoy the small things in life for the make life more purposeful
Make sure you check out QueenLeft on all platforms!