Growing up Sully Seventeen was always surrounded by music. This artist is no rookie when it comes to music. Unlike many others, he's very versatile and knows what he wants. During IamDjRo sit down with him, he dropped major gems. Check it out below.
● Tell me in a few words, who you are. How would you describe yourself in a short story.
I am extremely versatile I am Mr. multifaceted. I was born in Providence Rhode Island and move to Trenton New Jersey at a young age. I’m a battle rapper and a musician that can rap ,sing, write and produce other artists.
● What’s your stage name and how did you come up with it?
My Stage name is Sully Seventeen. My name was created in college. Ive always been Sully because my last name is Sullivan . The Seventeen came from College. I went to Bloomfield college in New Jersey and a friend and I where on a fast well on the seventeen day I decided to research the number. The meaning in the Bible and other text described me perfectly so now I’m Sully Seventeen .
● What got you into music?
My father was a Dj and my grandfather played the saxophone so music is in my blood. I started off as a kid playing the drums in school bands and soon picked up fruity loops and started making beats and rapping.
● What was life like growing up?
Life was confusing. Moving around a lot and not being able settle in to a place and enjoy the area or the people because I was bound to move was hard to get used too.
● Who is your inspiration? What keeps you going to get up daily and put effort into your music career?
My inspiration is my daughter Willow she is my rocket fuel she makes me go for the goals.
● What is your creative process like? What is the meaning behind
your current single?
My creative process has a focus on what I want to accomplish and establish. This single is a warning shot to the battle rap community. 2022 hunger games is a metaphor for survival in lyrical warfare.
● What is the name of the current single/ep/album that you are pushing? Do you prefer people to buy it or stream? And why?
I am currently just pushing singles right now I have Getting money Weather ft Mickey Factz and DNA out now and my newest single 2022 hunger games and please check out all my battles on YouTube sully seventeen vs . I prefer it to be streamed. In today's world music is not something that is bought it is enjoyed so I’d much rather my fans enjoy the music on what ever platform they enjoy music on.
● With the industry changing so much, would you stay indie or sign to a label? Why and why not?
I would absolutely sign a record deal. I’m currently indie and it is very expensive and time consuming when you only have two hands on and idea. We all wanna maximize the opportunities that our creativity presents.
● Do you feel like the music industry has went down since the pandemic? Why or why not? Where you affected by the pandemic with music or everyday life?
The pandemic has shifted the power of control so the music industry can’t dictate what people listen too anymore all of us can win now so many people became stars from the pandemic. It ended one of my businesses but it also got me more focused on my craft. The pandemic is what you made out of it. We all had to stay home some of us made plans for the future some of us just watched tv.
● If you were give a chance to sit down and have a business dinner with a celebrity who would it be and why?
I would have a sit down with 50 cent. He gets all aspects of creation music battle rap and motion picture. Just to see how he get the job done at the negotiating table would be a Gem.
● How do you balance everyday life tied into your music career?
Music is life it’s all woven together life inspires creation. Having a bad day can create a beautiful song.
● Tell me about your most memorable moment in your career?
Selling out vanity Grand was a big moment for me I had a commercial on power 99 on Philly radio it was a big moment.
● What style of music do you prefer to make? Would you ever try a different lane?
I honestly don’t have a lane I make what I feel I’m qualified to do so. One song can be R&B the next song could be drill and I might even mix the two together on a song I’m just different.
● Is there anyone who you would collab with right now?
I would love to do a track with Wiz And Snoop,
● Who is the producer and engineer behind your music?
Right now KE on the Track is behind my production
My engineers are my good Friend Jay Metal and Yountie they are my team for recording mix mastering.
● What are you currently working on and what is next for you?
I have two battles coming up so y’all be on the look out on YouTube and I have a album I’m working on but just releasing singles at the moment.
● When it comes to fashion, whats your dressing style ?
I base everything off of how I feel at the time I buy all my show and battle outfits the day of the event.
● What is your creative process like and who inspired you to make music?
I start playing beats and flow with how I feel or how the idea feels and work each word into the flow that is created.
● If you could open up for one celebrity who would it be and why?
It would be Snoop.
Snoop is the goat of hip hop.
● Any funny stories or an embarrassing moments you want to share with our readers?
I used to get embarrassed when I tripped up the stairs but now I realize I was learning how to fall to the next level.
● What would you be doing right now if it wasn’t for your music career?
I really can’t even imagine doing anything but creating.
● What is one message you would give to your fans?
No matter what happens in life the tested share lessons and are given blessings.
Check out Sully Seventeen