Looking for hot new music to listen to? You have come to the right place. We've interviewed upcoming Atlanta artist " Sleepy " on our station. Now we want to share with you his life and more. Check out the exclusive below.
How would you describe yourself in a short story.
My name is Trevin Bryan Roberson-Cunningham but everyone call me Sleepy
and I am from East Atlanta but raised in Stone Mountain.I currently stay on the outskirts of Woodstock. If I had to describe myself I would say I am determined and ambitious honestly because I will continue to do something until I get it.
● What’s your stage name and how did you come up with it? Sleepy is my stage name
And that name been with me since elementary to tell the truth. When I was young I didn’t like it at first but I grew to love because Everyone knew me by that.
● What got you into music?
I got myself into music but hear my grandma listen to Luther , Teddy, Kem. Sam, Smokey , Marvin , then turn MTV raps or rap city and here rappers like outkast which one of my favorite group by the way. I instantly fell in love with music.
I started writing songs when I was nine but my first big thing for me was when I wrote a rapper for the Periodic table for at least 10 elements. I won best project and I rapped it for like 3 other classes and post it on the school hall way , that was a huge moment for me.
● What was life like growing up?
Life was fun , even in the bad times it was fun because we made it fun. I had 2 parents and 4 siblings. It wasn’t always easy but listen my parents made it work. My fall into that street life and got into a lot of trouble from fights , shootings , jail time, got expelled from school in 10 or 11 grade , went to Alternative school , pass that went to job corp got kicked out and it was just up from there.
● Who is your inspiration? What keeps you going to get up daily and put effort into your music career?
Honestly before my kids , a small group of friends but after my kids and myself. I didn’t believe in at first because I didn’t know how much came with doing music. After my kids I was just tons of research and paying people to give me the information I need to learn about to help me further my career and I still aint where I want to be but I ain’t Quit and I am feather then I was. My Inspiration is music it self. When I was young I would get my parents old cassette tapes and record over them the mix shows from OMP camps, dj jelly and dj Hersey and the next day I would play my friends all the next artist and song that hits on the radio. I did that so much I start sell cds because every knew I knew the news song and what best shit to jam at party.
● What is your creative process like? What is the meaning behind your current single?
I just get into the beat, smoke my weed and meditate on the beat and feel the words.
The song Bon Appetit is about the trials we endured in the pass couple of years. My co artist lost his best friend and his mom and my cuzin went to prison for life and my homie killed both my partnas and then killed himself.
● What is the name of the current single/ep/album that you are pushing? Do you prefer people to buy it or stream? And why? BON APPETIT is the current single I am push and it was produced by a young producer name Harwit. I prefer people to stream and buy it or download it because it’s either way it go it is helping fund my career. I just be happy someone is streaming my music. I hope I inspire others.
● With the industry changing so much, would you stay indie or sign to a label? Why and why not?
Honestly I would continue to be an indie until I get enough leverage to have full control of my music but if they come to the table with enough money and it make sense then I would definitely go with it. People gotta understand this is a business.
● Do you feel like the music industry has went down since the pandemic? Why or why not? Where you affected by the pandemic with music or everyday life?
I feel like the music industry has increased since the pandemic, a lot more artists, producers, DJs ect came out of the pandemic. It’s bad job wise but it was good for those who have a hustle. Yes I was affected by the pandemic because I could go to the studio because it was close but it helped me just write more. You couldn’t do shows but you can do live shows on your IG or something. It really wasn’t all that bad.
● If you were give a chance to sit down and have a business dinner with a celebrity who would it be and why?
I would sit down with lil baby or kcamp because both of these gentlemen always drop a hit song every year. Lil baby is a hit maker n running the rap game right now, and kcamp hit after hit and they both run a record label very well.
● How do you balance everyday life tied into your music career?
Definitely a work in progress, I also drive semi so I am trying balance that with spending time with my wife and kids and doing shows and networking. I just do as much as I can within a month as possible.
● Tell me about your most memorable moment in your career?
My most memorable moment wasn’t good lol
I was performing at DOA in Atlanta and I lost my voice on stage in the middle of performing. Almost slipped off the stage but at the same time 2 other performers cop my cd and young Dolph pull me to the side and gave me props but I so mad about my performance I just left.
● What style of music do you prefer to make? Would you ever try a different lane?
I perfer trap music , soul music and HipHop. I would try any lane that fit my craft.
● Do you have a celebrity crush?
Oh yeah my wife she a celebrity to me but if I had to pick it would be Eva Mendes or Jayda.
● Is there anyone who you would collab with right now?
Of courses tons of Artist , Kcamp , Derez Deshon, Osha grind 2 hard , lil baby, H.E.R,
Summer Walker, hot boy wes, lil Wayne , Eminem, Andre 3k, Tory lanes , Euro Gotit, Money Man, Drake and plenty more.
● Who is the producer and engineer behind your music? My Guy Jacob waddy is my engineer, the producers of the best tho is Harwit.
● What are you currently working on and what is next for you?
Currently working on a another single with Jbanks but I am the feature on this song but it’s a hit song I believe. I am also dropping a sole single called Aww get it.
● When it comes to fashion, whats your dressing style ?
Dress code really be chill most of the time , unless I am going out somewhere.
● What is your creative process like and who inspired you to make music?
My creative process involve some pressure and me writing about my real life, I turn on a beat and tune into what the sound make me feel like. I really inspired myself.
● If you could open up for one celebrity who would it be and why?
I would open up for Travis Scott business wise but I would love to open for Kcamp
Because his crowds seem lit and with the vibe.
● Any funny stories or an embarrassing moments you want to share with our readers?
The strip club situation was probably my most embarrassing moment.
● What would you be doing right now if it wasn’t for your music career?
Driving semis or owning a record label.
● What is one message you would give to your fans?
Keep God first and if you support my campaign I appreciate you and yours. Without the fan and followers my music would not have no platform. I just others enjoy my personality, my vibe and my craft.
Be sure to follow Sleepy and his music career. https://open.spotify.com/album/3mOd60KkKB1hW9uuzEC1DG?si=sWxC9_u1QHCjCLLbL6Lfkw